The Basics and Beyond
Join bag designers and makers, Karis Hess and Mary Hayes, as they lead a 5-week video course on bag making. Learn new techniques and gain confidence with step-by-step instructions, instructor feedback and our robust private community forum.
Let's Learn to Sew Bags Together!
Before we jump into all the details about Bag Bootcamp, let's take a look at who this course is for:
- you would love to learn how to make bags, but you're overwhelmed and intimidated by all the supplies and techniques to complete one
- you've made bags in the past, but you're self taught and you'd like to add to your skillset
- you don't have any idea where to start but you'd love to give a handmade gift to your friends and family
- you've used a variety of free tutorials and videos to cobble information together, but you're still feeling lost and left with questions about techniques or next steps
- you find the variety of materials, zippers, interfacings and hardware daunting
- you would enjoy a community of fellow bag makers to share tips and projects with
You are in the right place friends! We are so excited to give you the foundation necessary to give you (or improve upon) your bag making skills. These are techniques you will build on as you progress on your bag making journey. Let's get started!
By the end of this course, you will:
- Have a specific, in-depth list of the basic tools you will need to sew bags
- Receive guidance on best sewing machine practices for bag making
- Learn how to confidently use your sewing machine and different presser feet
- Discover how to choose a variety of fabrics and how best to sew with them
- Understand the differences between the range of stabilizers and interfacings and when to use them
- Learn about different thread weights and needle sizes for the job at hand
- Gain confidence in reading and understanding patterns
- Understand the basic techniques to modify patterns to suit your needs
- Learn several techniques for sewing in zippers
- Learn how to create a multitude of pockets to add to your projects
- Learn how to successfully install hardware
- Have sewn with a myriad of substrates
- Have completed 4 individual projects reinforcing the skills you have gained
- Engaged with fellow bag makers to share your successes
- Receive a roadmap of next steps for your bag making journey that includes how you can continue to grow your skillset
Let's Grow Together
Bag Bootcamp combines video lessons with a community setting, providing a well-rounded experience and connecting you with other bag makers. Share your wins and finished projects, encourage and support one another, make new friends. Monthly Zoom meetings will encourage all to get to know one another a little better and also give you an opportunity to have Q&A and Show & Tell.
Connect. Engage. Create.
"Karis and Mary have such combined in-depth knowledge to share. They make learning fun and engaging. As bag designers, they know the ins and outs and make even the most complicated information easily understandable. I would recommend this course to anyone remotely interested in learning to make bags - with or without experience! So many juicy nuggets."
Every creative has tools of the trade. Bag makers are no different. In fact, we simply adore gadgets. We will explore everything from sewing machine presser feet to marking, cutting and clipping tools.
Cotton, leather, pleather, mesh, denim, blends, vinyl, cork, canvas, linen, sparkly, glittery, shiny -- have we got your attention? Learn how and when to use them all and how to best stabilize and interface for longevity.
Get the skinny on how to read patterns. No two designers write alike and understanding what's what can sometimes be overwhelming. You'll also learn to modify and alter patterns to best suit your needs.
From topstitching to hardware installation to bonus bling - we will share how you can elevate your bags to a professional status. Don't overlook the small details which can a big difference! Are you ready to get started?
Join the Waiting List
Bag Bootcamp registration is currently closed. Join the waiting list to be notified when it reopens!